The Menu (Taxonomy) vs. the Meal (Ontology)
Taxonomy and Thesauri:
- Focus is on words, not concepts (the menu).
- Relationships are between terms: synonym, hyponym, broader/narrower term.
- Each term should refer to just one concept.
- Focus is on concepts (the meal).
- Relationships are between concepts.
- Formal definitions.
- Automated inference.
How do we bring it all together?
- Understand the value where each approach adds the most value.
- Find the touch points and link them all up.
- Can Everyone and every tool live in harmony?
- It is not impossible, we are pushing hard and it gets easier!